October 11, 2008

A Trip Down Memory Lane...


I am 8 years old. My long brown hair is tied back into a side swept ponytail.It looked nice at some point in the day, but my excitement for all things fun has tugged at it quite a bit! I am sauntering down 2nd East with Lisa who lives around the corner and who is one of my best friends. We walk for a block where we meet Jenny at the corner. We walk a half a block and meet Anita at her house. There we are... the four of us... pennies in hand with a great mission to fulfill. We are going to the Island Market. You know, that obscure little market on the Island... where they sell overpriced groceries, have a cashier that looks like Woody Harrelson and (the best part), the store that gives you full access to the penny candy - which is every child's dream. Our mission is clear. Exchange our pockets full of pennies for a sugary treat that is sure to make the dentists checkbook happy. As we walk the extra block and a half, we chatter endlessly about boys, our pesky siblings, the sleepover we are going to have tonight. We finally make it. We go to the second aisle, we take a brown paper bag in hand, we plant our knees firmly on the ground, and we carefully and lovingly pick out our favorite flavors. We take the sack to the counter, dump the contents out (I know, completely unsanitary), and proceed to give the cashier a headache as we painstakingly count out every piece of candy and every penny that goes with it.


Awww... the joys of penny candy. It is a shame and a travesty that penny candy is no longer penny candy. A recent caffiene and sugar rush stop confirmed that the world is in economic crisis... penny candy is now two pennies... but ya know what, I sucked it up, grabbed a bag, planted my feet firmly on the ground, and carefully and lovingly picked out my favorite flavors... When they start charging three pennies - that's when I'll cause a scene...

5 comments:

marci said...

oh how i miss 1 cent candy! i was just telling james today how i miss them. it was the number one stop after a long day of selling lemonade off the driveway. oh to be young again!

p.s. next time you need that yummy sugar fix bring me along!

Mindy said...

I never lived close enough to town to walk to the store! But I do remember spending A LOT of $ on candy!

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

That was a great story! You should write a book! "Penny Candy Adventures", I can see it now! I had to ride my bike to the Island Market! I was so picked on! Of course, I did get to ride past Ben Johnson's house "on the way there". haha

Kristin Dyer said...

I was looking at Melissa Kane's Blog and saw yours so I decided to hop on. I couldn't believe your flashback. What a crack-up. I was actually just thinking of your family yesterday. I met a new sister in our ward with the last name of McCombs. What a small world. I hope that you and Nate are doing awesome. Tell your family hello. ~Kristin Hobbs (khdyer@gmail.com)

Grandma Vic said...

One of my fav pics of you and I do remember the Island market trips all of you so eagerly took and the dentist bills!! Love ya, ma

Copyright Notice