November 4, 2008

Ageing


It's finally happening. The thing that happens when your body finally catches up with your age. I used to get such a kick of seeing the surprise on people's faces when I told them my age, which is 28, and that Nate & I have been married for almost 9 years! Since starting college my body has held together fairly well and I have been able to fit in with my young and perky peers, but this morning... this rainy, fateful morning... it appeared. The thing that is commonly used to identify age.

The gray hair.

And it wasn't just a little gray - it was a beautiful, sparkly, old lady silver. In 30 years I'd be proud to have more hairs like that, but at this point in my life, I'm not sure I'm ready.

That gray hair has been a mixed blessing for me today. It has reminded me of all of the things that I have accomplished throughout my life, but it has also reminded me of the things that I have not yet done and that I will not be able to do as my body continues to grow up. And I'll admit, it scares me a little, it makes me a little emotional, and it makes me grateful for all of the things that I have learned and experienced while going through the things that I have not yet done.

I pulled out a gray hair this morning. My first. The first of many. I shed a tear today. Not my first. Not my last. My body is ageing, but so is my mind. My resolve has strengthened. I will not give up. I have been blessed with direction and understanding. It's finally happening.

5 comments:

D.I.M. Incorporated said...

I love you! I've been getting them since I had Daisey! Time to color again?

Denise and Nathan said...

OH, what a day:) I started getting gray hairs YEARS ago and I'm 28 too. So, consider yourself lucky!

Mindy said...

You are so cute! I enjoy reading all your stories (even the gray hair ones.) I have a sister and I was looking at her hair and she had gray hairs and she is going bald. (well her hair is really thin I guess I never noticed) I pointed both things out(I know rude, but we are sisters) and she felt bad. Now I know not to say anything...

Ryan and Jen said...

Ahh Clarissa, you will always be young in my eyes...I have noticed myself age too over the past few years and it is quite depressing to think I will never have my 20 year body again. The worst is trying to convince Ryan that exercise will not fix the major problem of boob sagging. I need some serious medical attention for that. Thankfully my hair is light enough that I may not notice the gray as quickly but the crows feet around my eyes cannot be hidden so easily. It happens to the best of us. :) Love ya

Grandma Vic said...

Gray hair is a sign of superior intelligence-that's my thought and even though I color more and more often-I feel smarter and younger than ever. I admit, I had a very hard time when I started going gray at age 20. Saggy boobs are ok-they mean you've at least had boobs. Also ageing bodies are ok, it's the mind that worries me-I don't ever want to forget my precious memories. Love, ma

Copyright Notice