December 27, 2012

a love letter ...

 Dear Grandma,

There were so many things that I wanted to say to you when I last saw you. We came to visit you before we moved to Oregon, and you looked so fragile, and while my heart ached, I am so grateful for the hug we shared and for your soft 'love you, too.'

If the situation had been different, and your mind had been more clear, I would have told you how grateful I am for you. You were such a strong, beautiful woman, and the love that you shared with Grandpa was so obvious and so beautiful, and I loved to watch the two of you together.

I would have told you that I am truly sorry that I didn't spend more time with the two of you, especially when I lived closer than a lot of your other family. I let school and work and life get in the way, and that is something that I will always regret.

 I would have told you that I have so many special memories of you and I want you to know that I can still hear your voice in my head (yours too, Grandpa)! I can hear you telling me about the rest of my family, I can hear you telling us that we don't have to 'run off so soon,' and I can hear you offering me cookies or treats as I walk into your home.

I know that you are in a better place now - and I hope that Grandpa isn't teasing you too badly - I know you have some lost time to catch up on!

I miss you both and I love you both so deeply, and I will forever be grateful for the time that I got to spend with you and the treasured memories that I have of you. 

I love you,
Clarissa

P.S. I was cleaning out my blanket bin yesterday and I found the afghan that you made us for our wedding - I held it close for a few moments in gratitude that I have something tangible that can remind me only of you.


018

IMG-20121201-WA0004

IMG-20121201-WA0001

No comments:

Copyright Notice