January 16, 2009

The Pursuit of Happiness

I am in the midst of packing - apparently very intently - and as I was cleaning out my "craft corner" I found an ugly scrapbook page that I did a few years back... This is what the title of it said:

"In the Fall of 2006 I took a Philosophy Class at ... (College shall remain nameless because I'm paranoid) ... Although there were some points that I didn't agree with, there were a few that really stuck with me! Enjoy!!"

Now, since I'm using this blog as a journal and to "memorialize" things that mean something to me, I'm going to turn the ugly scrapbook page into this post and just post the quotes that I like... So, without any further adieu, enjoy some philosophy on happiness and the pursuit thereof!!


- "A belief is nothing but a more vivid, lively, forcible, firm, steady conception of an object than what the imagine alone is ever able to attain."

- "The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates

- "Something cannot come to be out of nothing." -Descartes

- "We are free to create value for ourselves."

- "Men are unhappy because they cannot sit in their room for an hour and do nothing." - Pascal * Note * How true is this! When I took this class, my Professor asked us to try to remember the last time we sat in an empty room with just our thoughts... I couldn't remember... I still can't, but I believe that being able to be alone with yourself is very important and it is something we should all learn how to do!

- "The attitude of wonder is imperative to the good life."

- "Costume yourself for the role that you are playing - not for the role that others create for you." * Note * I really liked this one... through most of my middle school and high school years I felt like I needed to be what everyone else thought I should be, not what I wanted to be... I had a really hard time coming into my own and learning who I really was... Now that I am an adult (I think...) I feel that I have finally become comfortable in my own weird skin with my crazy thoughts and quirkiness.

- "Choose your myth. Don't inherit it."

The final quote is more of a definition that we came up with at the end of class after studying Descartes, Pascal, Socrates (and I know there were a couple more)... Our goal in the class was to define happiness... this is what we came up with and is something that I really agree with.

- Happiness Is... activity of the soul in accordance of reason in conforming with virtue (excellence) over a complete life with sufficient external goods.

Good luck trying to decipher that! Maybe on a day that I have more time I'll come back and break it down for you! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Becky and Paul said...

hi classisa, good for you being so crafty and making cool things. your kitty cat looks very well loved. tell nate hi and have a great week. love you becky

Copyright Notice