January 23, 2009

Interesting Info...

So, I'm taking an Infancy class this semester and I've learned a couple of things that I thought were interesting that I wanted to share with you all... mostly because I'm listening to an on-line lecture and I'm bored, but also because it is interesting...


This is a picture of a baby sucking it's thumb in the womb - I learned that when you are pregnant, the tastes of what you eat are carried over into the amniotic fluid (the fluid that surrounds the baby in the womb) - so as the babies suck their thumbs and take in the amniotic fluid (which is a good thing), they are tasting what you eat... do any of you have kids out there that love, or hate, something that you ate a lot of during pregnancy? (I'm just curious)

We also talked about the "Mozart Effect" in our class! Playing babies Mozart in the womb does not make them smarter, however, it may have a calming effect on them... my Professor, when her first child was born, played Pachabel's Cannon in D with head phones on her belly for her child... after he was born, if he was upset and she couldn't think of any other way to calm him down, she would play Cannon in D and he would calm right down. He is 12 now, and she still uses Cannon in D to help calm him when he is stressed. It's like giving your child a security blanket before they're even born. I don't know if this would work with every baby, but you can be sure that when the day comes for us, I'll be giving it a whirl!

Anyway, just thought it was interesting - maybe you've heard it before, maybe it's brand new to you... doesn't matter because I'm posting about it anyway :)

5 comments:

Jackson & Trish Whitehurst said...

That really is interesting. I remember learning about that and found it very cool!

B and J said...

What you said about them sucking their tumbs was really interesting, I guess I need to be sure to eat lots of fruits and veggies when I can control what they eat.

shawna said...

That is very interesting. Maybe that is why all my kids all love chocolate. What a way fun class. Have a happy day and thanks for sharing. Love ya, Shawna

Mindy said...

That is interesting I had no idea! I would love to go to your class with you, that kind of stuff is really neat. Did you move?

Grandma Vic said...

When Amanda was born she came out sucking her thumb-the doctor was kind of dumbfounded, she kept that in her mouth almost always for 6 years-any
ideas on why babies do that? Have fun in class. Love, ma

Copyright Notice