There is no easy way to begin this post. It has been a rough week. I'm not going to spare you the details, again because this blog is also a journal for me, so if you want to skip to the end and read the "lesson learned," feel free!
Here's a quick rundown of the week I just experienced:
- Last Friday I got hit by a car while I was picking Nate up from work. Long story short, someone ran a red light, I was restrained in a neck brace on a body board because of concerns with some pain in my chest and back, I rode in an ambulance to the hospital, got x-rays (everything came out clear), and was sent home with muscle relaxers and instructions to take a lot of ibuprofen. If you've ever been in an accident you know that even if you have no serious injuries, you end up super sore for several days.
- Last Friday was also the day I found out that my cousin Cory (who was on his way to recovery after an extensive back surgery) had gone into cardiac arrest and as a result, lost oxygen and was currently on life support. On Saturday his family made what the decision to pull him off of life support because he was registering 0% activity in his brain. His death was a shock to the whole family and has hit me hard.
- School started this week and because of my inattention to details while planning my schedule, the extra pressure added a lot of stress. As a result of being sore, working through my feelings and working out my mistake in my schedule I missed a lot of work (causing me extra stress because I had to work from home during off hours) and am now behind, already, in school.
On top of daily life, one of these things would have been manageable, but all three during the same 7 day period have really taken their toll on me. There was a moment when I contemplated dropping out of school for the semester. There were moments when I contemplated quitting my job. I didn't do either, and am grateful now that I didn't, but either one of them or both of them would have made my life easier this week.
... now a change of tone ...
Although this week has brought a lot of pain, tears and stress, I was reminded about some life lessons, and those are more important to dwell on:
- pay attention while you are driving. I am a pretty defensive driver - I am the kind of person that doesn't trust other drivers on the road and always assume the worst. When I got hit, I had checked the intersection that I was driving into and was looking ahead of me into the lane that I was turning into - the other guy was distracted and ran his light. It only takes a moment of distraction - so be careful.
- God loves me. He was watching out for me. I could have been two seconds earlier and had a head on collision - resulting in something much worse. I don't know if I was hit for any particular reason (except to maybe slow me down for a few days and give me the rest that I needed), but I do know that I was being watched over.
- never let a day go by without telling those close to you that you love them. No one knows when they are going to be called home, so be sure your loved ones know that they are loved.
Yes, it was a tough week. One I don't really care to remember. The things that happened were hard to swallow, but the lessons that I was reminded of are ones that I'm not likely to forget soon.
Now, because it is important, I must tell you that I love you! Whether you are my close family, my best of friend or an acquaintance I hope to know better, you have all touched my life in one way or another, and I am grateful that I know you.
Now, because it is equally important, go tell the ones you love the same!
4 comments:
We are glad you are okay...wishing you a quick recovery!
I am glad you are okay and on the road to recovery from you accident.
I am very sorry for the sudden loss of you cousin. It is never easy but you are right, never miss an opportunity to say I love you!
MY DEAR CLAR:
YOU TOUCHED MY HEART TONIGHT JUST WHEN I NEEDED IT THE MOST. I AM SO GLAD THAT YOU ONLY GOT BUMPS AND BRUISES. AND THANKS FOR THE KINDESS FOR CORY. HE LOVED LIFE AND HE LOVED FAMILY IN EVERY SINGLE WAY. IT WAS HARD TO LET HIM GO. YET HE HAD MADE THE DECISION TO BE A ORGAN DONOR, SO WE DIDN'T HAVE TO MAKE ANY DECISIONS EXCEPT TO LET HIM GO. AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THAT.
MY HEART HURTS AND MY ARMS ACHE TO HOLD HIM AGAIN AND HEAR HIS VOICE. I RANG UP HIS CELL PHONE TONIGHT JUST TO HEAR HIM SAY "THIS IS CORY I CAN'T COME TO THE PHONE BUT PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE." JACK AND I BOTH CRIED. YET IT WAS GOOD FOR ME JUST THAT ONCE TO DO IT.
MY DEAR NIECE THANK YOU FOR LETTING OTHERS KNOW TO HUG AND LOVE EVERYONE. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT MY MESSAGE WAS IN MY TESTIMONY AT CORY'S FUNERAL.
THANK YOU FOR TAKING PICTURES. I SHOULD BE HOME MOST OF THE WEEK JUST CALL ME 245-6646
I LOVE YOU AND NATE !!! AND MY DEAR SISTER VICKY FOR SAVING ME WHEN I NEEDED SAVING.
HUGS AUNT DEBBIE
Hey Clar we are glad you are OK too! I am happy you decided to stick with school and work, you'll catch up in the end and be so relieved you didn't quit. Hang in there, Jess
Post a Comment